Browsing College of Architecture, Arts, and Design (CAAD) by Issue Date
Now showing 1 - 20 of 690
Results Per Page
- A Brief Survey of the Development of Dramatic Literature for ChildrenBedard, R. L. (Johns Hopkins Univ Press, 1983)
- A Visual Text: History of Architecture Catalogue for HypertextRodriguez-Camilloni, Humberto L.; Gorin, Abbye A. (Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University. Center for Theory and History of Architecture, 1988)"This visual text consists of three models designed as a teaching-learning tool for the history and theory of architecture courses currently offered by the Center for Theory and History of Architecture, College of Architecture and Urban Studies at Virginia Tech."--Pref. of catalog. The book is contained in the zip file, which uncompressed is a directory of HTML files, viewable in a web browser. The videos are in 5 chapters as follows: Chapter I: History of Architecture (2:42:18) Chapter II: History and Theory of Urban Form (25:39) Chapter III: South American Pre-Columbian Architecture (26:59) Chapter IV: "Eugene Emmanuel Viollet-Le-Duc, Architect Extraordinaire" (17:39) [Chapter V]: PreHispanic Architecture/North Coast Peru (9:56) [filmed by Abraham Guillen under the direction of Richard P. Schaedel, Lima, Peru, 1954]
- The Discourse of Pictures: Iconicity and Film StudiesPrince, Stephen (University of California Press, 1993)
- Poor Families and Poor Housing: The Search for Decent Housing in Virginia's Private, Unassisted MarketKoebel, C. Theodore; Rives, Mary Ellen (Virginia Center for Housing Research, 1993-06)This report explores the differences in housing conditions between those U.S. families who receive various forms of public assistance and those who do not. The findings of this report show that low-income Virginians who do not receive rental assistance are forced to live in seriously inadequate housing, for which they have to devote virtually all of their income. For some even combining assistance from several sources is often inadequate compared with the cost of housing.
- Design Guidelines for Downtown NarrowsGilboy, Elizabeth; Budic, Zorica; Denise, Alexander; Rich, Bourbonnaise; Karla, Brock; Chaya, Prabhu (Virginia Tech. Community Design Assistance Center, 1993-12-31)Similar to many communities across the country, the town of Narrows' Commercial District has been experiencing economic and physical decline for quite some time. A recent survey suggests that over half of all commercial, office, and industrial space in downtown Narrows is presently either vacant or underutilized (Archambault 1992). Downtown revitalization has been a successful response to decaying physical and economic environments in many towns and cities across the country. Alone, downtown improvements will not solve the economic problems of the district. However, they represent a necessary and important step in the economic revitalization process (Archambault 1992). This report includes three sections, which address design guideline recommendations for the Town of Narrows, as well as the background materials that informed their process of development.
- Retirement Relocation Among College Graduates: A Survey of Virginia Tech Alumni(Virginia Center for Housing Research, 1995-01)Research on the residential mobility of persons who have fully or partially retired identifies two major purposes of such relocation. Care-related relocation occurs in response to the inevitable increase in physical dependence that accompanies older age, particularly after age 75. Amenity relocation occurs primarily among persons aged 60 to 70 for the purpose of enhancing quality of life during retirement. This report explores the post retirement residential preferences of Virginia Tech graduates from years 1946-1961.
- Main Street Buchanan: Vision and Design GuidelinesGleason, Harry (Virginia Tech. Community Design Assistance Center, 1995-04-07)Managing design changes is an integral part of preserving Buchanan's identity. By understanding the value of a Town's historic and cultural resources rehabilitation and new projects can reinforce important qualities of the community. This report is a documentation of physical patterns of land use and development occurring along Main Street within the Town of Buchanan and guidelines for retaining and reinforcing that character.
- Tenant Organization in Public Housing Projects: A Report on Senate Resolution No. 347Koebel, C. Theodore; Cavell, Marilyn S. (Virginia Center for Housing Research, 1995-10)This report summarizes the history of tenant management in public housing, identifies benefits and weaknesses of tenant organizations and the regulations governing such organizations, describes activities of tenant organizations in Virginia, and discusses homeownership opportunities for public housing residents.
- True Lies: Perceptual Realism, Digital Images, and Film TheoryPrince, Stephen (University of California Press, 1996)
- Urban Redevelopment, Displacement and the Future of the American CityKoebel, C. Theodore (Virginia Center for Housing Research, 1996-04)Prepared for the Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond; examines the record of urban development during the last half of the 20th century and identifies community development corporations and public-private partnerships as the potential solution to problems associated with redevelopment and displacement.
- Housing Conditions of Migrant and Seasonal FarmworkersKoebel, C. Theodore; Daniels, Michael P. (Virginia Center for Housing Research, 1997-05)This report determines the level of need for and interest in a housing loan program for migrant farmworker housing in Virginia and documents the housing conditions of migrant farmworkers in Virginia.