A feasibility study to use machine learning as an inversion algorithm for aerosol profile and property retrieval from multi-axis differential absorption spectroscopy measurements
MetadataShow full item record
In this study, we explore a new approach based on machine learning (ML) for deriving aerosol extinction coefficient profiles, single-scattering albedo and asymmetry parameter at 360 nm from a single multi-axis differential optical absorption spectroscopy (MAX-DOAS) sky scan. Our method relies on a multi-output sequence-to-sequence model combining convolutional neural networks (CNNs) for feature extraction and long short-term memory networks (LSTMs) for profile prediction. The model was trained and evaluated using data simulated by Vector Linearized Discrete Ordinate Radiative Transfer (VLIDORT) v2.7, which contains 1 459 200 unique mappings. From the simulations, 75 % were randomly selected for training and the remaining 25 % for validation. The overall error of estimated aerosol properties (1) for total aerosol optical depth (AOD) is -1.4 +/- 10.1 %, (2) for the single-scattering albedo is 0.1 +/- 3.6 %, and (3) for the asymmetry factor is -0.1 +/- 2.1 %. The resulting model is capable of retrieving aerosol extinction coefficient profiles with degrading accuracy as a function of height. The uncertainty due to the randomness in ML training is also discussed.