The effect of the Clery Act on campus judicial practices
Gregory, D. E.
Janosik, S. M.
MetadataShow full item record
This article describes a study seeking to assess perceptions of campus judicial officers/members of the Association for Student Judicial Affairs (ASJA) regarding the effectiveness of the Clery Act (Campus Security Act) on campus judicial practices. In addition it provides information regarding overall effectiveness of Clery as perceived by the respondents. The researchers surveyed 1, 143 members of the Association for Student Judicial Affairs (ASJA) whose institutions are covered by the Act. A total of 422 ASJA members returned questionnaires. This provided a response rate of 36.9%. The respondents included 39% Senior Student Affairs Officers who supervise a judicial conduct administrator, 44% who were judicial affairs officers and 17% who indicated that they were either faculty members, graduate students or "other." The overall population of respondents was divided among both public and private institutions. Here, 60% of the respondents were from public institutions and 40% were from private institutions. A large majority (88%) of the respondents worked at four-year institutions with the remainder (12%) working at two-year institutions.