Castlewood, VA: Conceptual Redevelopment Plan for the Mudhole Store


Report (29.88 MB)
Downloads: 17

TR Number



Journal Title

Journal ISSN

Volume Title



Castlewood is an unincorporated community located in northwest Russell County with approximately 1,700 residents (U.S. Census Bureau, 2020). The community was originally named Castle’s Woods after Jacob Castle, who first arrived in the area around 1750. Castlewood was the first settlement in Russell County, and its first permanent residents arrived in 1769. Daniel Boone and his family also lived in Castle’s Woods between 1773 and 1775.

The Mudhole Store site is located at 776 Red Oak Ridge Road at the intersection of Red Oak Ridge Road and Reeds Valley Road. The site consists of several properties owned by Charles Bickley “Bick” and Judith “Judy” Gibson amounting to approximately 13 acres. The former filling station located onsite was built in the 1950s and is located on a parcel of about .31 acres. There were two pumps and the tanks are likely still located underground. The station also served as a convenience store. The historic egg house, located about 120 feet east of the current gas station building, was built between 1930 and 1950 and historically used to store and trade eggs.