Castlewood, VA: Castlewood Schools Campus Conceptual Site Master Plan and Planting Designs

TR Number



Journal Title

Journal ISSN

Volume Title



Construction of the Castlewood Schools campus began with Castlewood High School in 1948, after a fire destroyed nearby Temple Hill High School. The beautiful colonial revival building opened its doors in 1949, and Castlewood Elementary School was constructed next to the high school in 1958. The Castlewood Schools campus has not undergone any major renovations in approximately thirty years, so Russell County Public Schools (RCPS) was interested in making improvements to the site. a stakeholders committee from RCPS and CDAC collaborated to determine whether there was a better way to lay out the sports fields on the campus as well as add a tennis court, tree plantings and a mini arboretum, and pollinator plantings that may be able to support agriculture classes.